|Photo by Chopper Platt|
Here's my Top 5 alternatives to sneak in:
1. Popcorners: These are chips made of popcorn. I actually brought a bag to the movies once and everyone (kids included) preferred them to the giant tub of the concession stand variety.
2. Grapes: My husband wanted me to start a crusade for theaters to offer fresh grapes as a healthy snack alternative. I could see how this would be great, but also highly complicated. Being a seasonal fruit, they can get really pricey throughout the year, and also hold a high level of pesticides. So in the meantime, try to bring some organic, locally-grown options.
3. Dried fruit: In lieu of gummy candy, I like to snack on a dried fruit salad. My favorites are cantaloupe, kiwi, pineapple, papaya, figs, and dates.
4. Energy/Protein Bars: Sometimes I'm a little hungrier and need something more substantial. I think it's a little distracting to whip out a smelly meal in the middle of a movie, so I'll eat a hearty bar instead. My favorite ready-made one is by Bonk Breaker; you can also try my recipe for Tropical Tahini Oat Bars.
5. Cereal: I like Barbara's Puffins and Three Sisters. Mixed with raw nuts, this makes a perfect sweet n savory snack - although the crunch may annoy your neighbors, so chew quietly.
[Editor's Note: Surrogate Valentine is now playing at the SXSW film fest. For screening info click here]