John August moderated the discussion and they showed clips from Juno and Up in the Air to analyze and compare the beautifully directed conversation scenes where: A.) Clooney, Kendrick & Farmiga talk "love" in the airport and B.) where Juno and her dad first meet her baby's soon to be adopted family.
Reitman said that his goal is to make a scene as good as possible before adding a soundtrack instead of fully relying on music to convey the intended emotion. He wants the songs to sneak up on the audience "like a ninja."
Next up on the Director's Close-Up panel is "Writing and Directing Comedy" featuring:
- Ruben Fleischer (director, Zombieland)
- Amy Heckerling (writer/director Clueless; director Fast Times at Ridgemont High)
- Don Roos (writer/director, Love and Other Impossible Pursuits; Happy Endings)
- Mark Waters (writer/director, The House of Yes; director, Mean Girls)
- Mike White (writer/director, Year of the Dog; writer, The School of Rock)
The series runs Wednesdays Feb. 3rd to March 3rd at the Landmark Theater in West Los Angeles.